Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
FDA approves Perjeta for neoadjuvant treatment
Posted by: admin (IP Logged)
Date: October 22, 2013 04:58PM

THE U.S. Food and Drug Administration today granted accelerated approval to Perjeta (pertuzumab) as part of a complete treatment regimen for patients with early stage breast cancer before surgery (neoadjuvant setting). Perjeta is the first FDA-approved drug for the neoadjuvant treatment of breast cancer.

Perjeta was approved in 2012 for the treatment of patients with advanced or late-stage (metastatic) HER2-positive breast cancer. HER2-positive breast cancers have increased amounts of the HER2 protein that contributes to cancer cell growth and survival.

Perjeta’s new use is intended for patients with HER2-positive, locally advanced, inflammatory or early stage breast cancer (tumor greater than 2 cm in diameter or with positive lymph nodes) who are at high risk of having their cancer return or spread (metastasize) or of dying from the disease. It is to be used in combination with trastuzumab and other chemotherapy prior to surgery and, depending upon the treatment regimen used, may be followed by chemotherapy after surgery. Following surgery, patients should continue to receive trastuzumab to complete one year of treatment.

“We are seeing a significant shift in the treatment paradigm for early stage breast cancer,” said Richard Pazdur, M.D., director of the Office of Hematology and Oncology Products in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “By making effective therapies available to high-risk patients in the earliest disease setting, we may delay or prevent cancer recurrences.’’

In May 2012, the FDA issued a draft guidance2 about the use of pathologic complete response (pCR), defined as the absence of invasive cancer in the breast and lymph nodes, as an endpoint to support accelerated approval of a drug for neoadjuvant treatment of high-risk, early stage breast cancer. Under the FDA’s accelerated approval program, patients are provided access to promising drugs to treat serious or life-threatening conditions while confirmatory clinical trials are conducted.

Perjeta’s accelerated approval for neoadjuvant treatment is based on a study designed to measure pCR. In the study, 417 participants were randomly assigned to receive one of four neoadjuvant treatment regimens: trastuzumab plus docetaxel, Perjeta plus trastuzumab and docetaxel, Perjeta plus trastuzumab or Perjeta plus docetaxel. About 39 percent of participants who received Perjeta plus trastuzumab and docetaxel achieved pCR, compared to about 21 percent who received trastuzumab plus docetaxel.

The confirmatory trial for this accelerated approval is being conducted in participants with HER2-positive breast cancer who had prior breast cancer surgery and are at high risk of having their cancer return. More than 4,800 participants are enrolled in this trial, which will provide further data on efficacy, safety and long-term outcomes. Results are expected in 2016.

The most common side effects reported in participants receiving Perjeta plus trastuzumab and docetaxel were hair loss, diarrhea, nausea and a decrease in infection-fighting white blood cells. Other significant side effects included decreased cardiac function, infusion-related reactions, hypersensitivity reactions and anaphylaxis.

The FDA reviewed Perjeta’s use for neoadjuvant treatment under the agency’s priority review program, which provides for an expedited review of drugs that may offer major advances in treatment.

Re: FDA approves Perjeta for neoadjuvant treatment
Posted by: dynywizece (IP Logged)
Date: February 23, 2018 11:44AM

Forums are many types it depends upon us that type of forum we can write or read and aware us about different things. We can also make forums by college paper .org reviews guides us in different ways.

Posted by: Skproduction (IP Logged)
Date: October 13, 2018 01:11PM

that is my first visit on your web magazine! we're a outfit of volunteers and subsidiary sports in the equal distinctiveness. internet site gave us helpful records to court engagement. private investigator

Date: October 14, 2018 08:13AM

Date: October 14, 2018 08:33AM

Date: October 16, 2018 03:59PM

this is this kind of beatific resource which you are providing and you come back to an goodwill it away for forgive. I hero worship seeing weblog that acquire the price of presenting a mood useful resource for clean. asbestos awareness course online

apk
Posted by: caziride (IP Logged)
Date: November 16, 2018 08:08AM

apk
Date: November 16, 2018 08:08AM

apk
Date: November 16, 2018 08:09AM

apk
Date: November 16, 2018 08:09AM

Posted by: BenjaminMiller (IP Logged)
Date: November 24, 2018 10:09AM

This phenomenal hearings thoroughly correct. Most of low statistics are prepared by making usage of large number about feel effective skills. We're anxious the software once a whole lot. Capital Gains

Date: November 27, 2018 07:55PM

I like ones own post. Her wonderful view you probably discuss through written text aided by the cardiovascular in addition to a resolution you can fundamental situation might be successfully visited. @anna_omega_hu

Date: November 30, 2018 12:31PM

Nevertheless this is besides that an incredible share that marilyn and i certainly appreciated checking. It certainly is not day to day that i maintain the prospect to decide 1. gaigoihanoi

Posted by: saqibkhatri (IP Logged)
Date: December 10, 2018 10:12AM

i really like this article please keep it up. Design Interiors Directory

Date: December 12, 2018 06:52PM

This article was written by a real thinking writer without a doubt. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back day in and day for further new updates. centurylink speed test

Date: December 13, 2018 10:35AM

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. investmentbizmag.com

Date: December 15, 2018 06:50PM

I absolutely hate coupon codes that don't work! The great thing about GetACode.com is that they guarantee their codes will work (or they'll give you a gift card from Amazon) coupons

Date: December 18, 2018 10:50AM

Thank you for the update, very nice site.. mediascope.info

Date: December 18, 2018 06:13PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Used Testing Equipment

Date: December 19, 2018 09:30AM

Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks. Ashton Cigars

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.